Friday 26 March 2010

Sculptural Possibilities of the Downspout


Something that has always fascinated me is the sculptural qualities of a damn good downspout. I was fortunate to take a trip to Russia in 1991 and found myself in deep joy in the Kremlin where a particularly fine crop of such objects could be found. Even more propitiously the consequences of Glasnost and Perestroika meant that such behaviour was less of interest to the guards than might have been the case a few years earlier. This one caught my eye as having an especially generous spout that would, one imagines, distribute a damn fine gush of rainwater about the surrounding area in a deluge. Of course I took pictures of the minarets and the mausoleum as well but I was moved by the downspouts the most...

No comments:

Post a Comment